In tel Aviv on the night of Friday, July 21, ended with a meeting of the military-political Cabinet. It lasted about four hours and was devoted to the situation on the Temple mount.
The meeting adopted a decision on the retention of metal detectors at the entrance to the temple mount.
«Israel has a duty to maintain the status quo on the Temple mount and to provide free access to the Holy places,» – said in a statement issued following the meeting.
«Israel has a duty to ensure the safety of worshipers and other visitors to the Temple mount,» reads the statement.
As previously reported, in recent negotiations with the US about ending the crisis over the Temple mount. According to published information, one of the proposals was the removal of metal detectors, however, the preservation of the regime of thorough inspections of people going to the temple mount.
The representative of Fatah Hatem Abed al-Qader said that the United States put pressure on Israel, demanding to accept the offer. According to him, the United States intervened in the process of resolving the crisis at the request of Jordan and Saudi Arabia.
It was also reported that Israel is weighing the possibility of saving the metal detectors at Temple mount, however, use them for checks only those who is suspicious. The WAQF and the Palestinian Arabs are demanding the complete lifting of the detectors.