In the night of Wednesday, July 26, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and internal security Minister Gilad Erdan ordered to begin a personal examination of each who ascends to the temple mount.
According to official sources in the Prime Minister’s entourage, the order was given against the background of heightened tensions on the Temple mount. Inspections will be conducted hand held metal detector.
25 July continued protests by Muslims in the area of the Temple mount. They require the elimination of all additional steps to ensure the security made after the terrorist attack on 14 July. As previously reported, representatives of the Waqf demand that the Israeli police dismantle additional checkpoints, the checkpoints on the approaches to the Temple mount, and removed a surveillance camera.
The evening of 25 July in Jerusalem’s neighborhoods Isawiya and RAS al-Amud and near the Lion’s gate of the Old city, clashes broke out between Arabs and police and soldiers of the border police (the MAGICIAN). During the riots, police were flying stones and bottles. The police used special equipment to stop the riots. The newspaper Haaretz reported, citing Palestinian sources that the clashes injured at least 30 rioters. One wounded in serious condition. The press service of the police did not confirm this information.
Fatah also calls for the return of the situation on the Temple mount that was until July 14. The Deputy head of the Executive Committee of Fatah Sabri Sydeham said that the organization calls for tougher fight around the Temple mount. In accordance with the call of the leaders of Fatah, in the coming Friday prayers will be «in the squares and not in the mosques». Leaders of FATAH also said that they began preparing to appeal to the international court in the Hague with a lawsuit about the actions of Israel on the Temple mount.
In turn, the President of the United States Donald trump issued a statement in which he expressed support for Israel in connection with the events in Jerusalem. «The United States welcomes Israel’s actions aimed at ensuring security at the same time attempts to lower the level of tension in the region», — reads the statement of the White house. It concerns the military-political Cabinet, which was made the night of July 25, the dismantling of the framework of metal detectors and surveillance cameras.
The evening of 25 July, the Second channel ITV has published the results of a survey conducted by the Institute «Midgam». According to the survey, 68% of Israelis believe that the installation of metal detectors was the right step, 23% believe that it was a wrong move, and 9% have no opinion. 77% of respondents believe the decision to remove the detectors surrender of Israel, 17% do not think so this step, 6% could not answer this question.
Evaluating the performance of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during the crisis, 67% believed it was poor, and only 23 percent gave her a positive evaluation.