News Israel today

latest news from Israel in english

Opened after the restoration Sergiev compound in Jerusalem

On Tuesday, July 18, after restoration work lasted for five years, held the opening ceremony of the Sergiev monastery, located in the heart of Jerusalem.

Israeli website NEWS1 reminds that recently the government transferred the building, located near the Russian metochion of the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian society (IOPS), founded 1862.

Sergievo (Sergius) the compound is a two — storey stone building of the late XIX century with a courtyard and corner tower. The building has a Sunday school, a Museum, a library and a hotel for pilgrims.

RIA Novosti reminds that the Sergiev metochion was built in 1886-1889 in the Jerusalem project architect, George Frangia the means of IOPS and its founder, Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich Romanov. It is then for bureaucratic reasons recorded construction. Because of this she, unlike many other objects of Russian property in the Holy land, has not got the Soviet Union after the founding of Israel and under the control of the guardianship, escaped sale during the Nikita Khrushchev — the infamous «orange transaction» in 1964, when the Soviet Union traded in Israel on the citrus and textiles more than two dozen pre-revolutionary buildings and land holdings.

In the Russian property farmstead back in December of 2008.

At the opening ceremony of the building after the restoration was attended by the current head of the IOPS, former Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin, the Israeli Minister for Jerusalem Affairs, Zeev Elkin, Ambassador of the Russian Federation in Israel Alexander Shein.

To discuss visit NEWSru.co.il in Facebook

Opened after the restoration Sergiev compound in Jerusalem 18.07.2017

Поделиться в соц. сетях

Опубликовать в Google Buzz
Опубликовать в Google Plus
Опубликовать в LiveJournal
Опубликовать в Мой Мир
Опубликовать в Одноклассники
Latest news from Israel in english © 2010-2015
38 queries