The government of Egypt has allocated $ 22 million for restoration located in Alexandria synagogue of the prophet Eliyahu. The historical building is in disrepair, a few months after the roof had collapsed.
The head of Islamic and Coptic monuments Helmi Azat recalled that, under the law, the renovation of religious institutions should be undertaken on the money of the municipalities. However, given the significance of the synagogue, the authorities took over the financing..
Synagogue prophet Eliyahu was the Central prayer house of the Jewish community of Alexandria and one of the largest in the Arab world. It seated 700 people.
It was built in the middle of the XIV century, but was seriously damaged in 1789, when Alexandria was taken, landed in Egypt the French army under the command of General Napoleon Bonaparte.
The current building in eclectic style was built in 1848 by architect Leon Barcelona. The project was funded by the Pasha of Egypt Muhammad Ali. Over a long period of service here was not conducted, but the synagogue was open on weekdays.