Yesterday there was a meeting of the Executive Committee of the International Olympic Committee, which the Russian Olympic Committee was suspended.
To avoid inaccuracies and speculation, the IOC released a statement in Russian.
Here is the text of a press release.
IOC suspended the Olympic Committee of Russia and announced opportunities for clean athletes to participate in the Olympic games in Pyeongchang in 2018 under the Olympic flag
The IOC Executive Board today reviewed and discussed the findings of the Commission, which under the leadership of former President of Switzerland Samuel Schmid, investigating systematic violations of the anti-doping system in Russia. In particular, in the Commission’s Report deals with the question of manipulation c samples in anti-doping laboratory during the Olympic games in Sochi in 2014, which directly affected the outcome of the Olympic games. During the 17 months of intensive work, the Commission Schmid collected evidence and information, and conducted hearings with all major stakeholders of the process. The Commission has implemented the appropriate legal procedure, which has the right to every individual and every organization. The IOC was not possible to carry out such a procedure before the Olympic games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
The findings of the Report Schmid, both actual and legal, confirmed the presence of «systematic violations of doping rules and anti-doping system in Russia thanks to application of techniques «the disappearance of positive doping tests» and violations during the Olympic Winter games in Sochi in 2014, as well as violations of various administrative, legal and contractual levels, which were the result of non-compliance with the various organizations involved in the process.»
As a result, the Schmid Commission recommends that the IOC Executive Board:
• “take appropriate measures, which should be tough enough to take authorizing action in respect to the existence of systematic violations of anti-doping rules and anti-doping system in Russia, and also in respect of legal liability of the various involved organizations (including the official form, the flag and the anthem);
• while protecting the rights of individual Russian athletes that aren’t doping claims;
and take into account the numerous expenses incurred by two doping commissions of the IOC, especially those associated with investigation, various examinations and re-analysis of doping samples taken from athletes during the Olympic games.»
After discussion and approval of the report of the Schmid, the IOC Executive Board took the following action:
• To suspend the activities of the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) with immediate entry into force.
• Invite some Russian athletes, under strict certain conditions (see below) to participate in the winter Olympic games Pyeongchang-2018. These individual athletes will participate in individual or team competition under the name «Olympic Athletes of Russia» (COP). They will compete in the form of a label and under the Olympic flag. All ceremonies will sound of the Olympic anthem.
• To provide accreditation for the Olympic winter games in Pyeongchang in 2018, none of the functionaries (officials) of the Ministry of sport of the Russian Federation.
• Prohibit former Minister of sports Vitaly Mutko and his Deputy Yuri Nagornykh to take any part in any future Olympic games.
• Exclude the former President of the Organizational Committee Sochi-2014 Dmitry Chernyshenko from the Coordination Commission of the Olympic games in Beijing in 2022.
• To suspend the membership of the President of the ROC Alexander Zhukov, IOC, given that its membership is associated with a post of President OKR. • The IOC reserves the right to adopt measures and sanctions against individuals associated with the system.
• OKR compensates for the costs incurred by the IOC in connection with the investigations, and will contribute to the establishment of an Independent body for testing in the amount of 15 million U.S. dollars, to build capacity and enhance reliability of the international anti-doping system.
• The IOC may partially or completely cancel the decision to remove the ROC from participation in the closing Ceremony of the winter Olympic games Pyeongchang-2018, provided that these decisions are fully complied with OCD, invited athletes and officials.
• IOC will issue practical recommendations for the implementation of these solutions. As will be selected athletes:
The invitation of some Russian athletes at the winter Olympic games Pyeongchang-2018 is made in accordance with the following directives:
The guest list will be drawn up by the Commission headed by the Chairman of the Independent organization of the doping test (ITA) Valerie Fourneyron, at the absolute discretion of the Commission. The Commission will include members of the Working group on pedigreea testing: one vada, one from the anti-doping unit DFSU (Doping Free Sport Unit), one from the IOC, Dr. Richard Budgett.
• In its decisions, the Commission will be guided by the following principles:
I. can be Considered only candidates athletes that qualify in accordance with the qualification standards of the relevant sport
II. It can be considered only those athletes who were considered «clean» (non-doping) in accordance with the criteria of the Commission: — Athletes in the past have not been disqualified and will not lishivshiysya the right of admission to the competition for any anti-Doping rule violations. — Athletes, past all the pre-game target of testing recommended by the Working group on pedigreea testing. Athletes who have complied with all other requirements of tests specified by the Commission in order to ensure equal conditions in the competition. — The final decision on the selection of athletes from the list of invitees remains at the absolute discretion of the IOC
III. The invited athletes will participate in individual or team competitions in the winter Olympic games Pyeongchang-2018 in the status of «Athlete-Olympian from Russia (SOR)». They will compete in the form of a label and under the Olympic flag. All ceremonies will sound of the Olympic anthem.
IV. Invited athletes will be provided with the same technical and logistical support, like any other athletes.
V. the Commission, in their absolute discretion, will make the guest list administrative and technical employees and officials.
VI. In its decisions the Commission will be guided by the following principles:
No member of the leadership of the Russian Olympic team at the Olympic winter games Sochi 2014 may not be included in the guest list.
— No coach or doctor, in which there were athletes found in violation of anti-Doping rules, may not be included in the guest list. All the coaches and doctors included on the list must sign a Declaration.
— Any other requirements considered necessary to ensure fidelity to the ethical principles of the Olympic games. VII. The final decision on the selection of technical and administrative workers and officials from the list of invitees remains at the absolute discretion of the IOC.