Command of the armed forces of Syria announced the suspension of hostilities in the South of Syria, including Quneitra, on the border with Israel. The «silence mode» will be valid until Thursday, July 6.
In a statement, quoted by Reuters, said that the ceasefire came into effect Sunday, July 2, at 12:00 local time «to support the peace process and national reconciliation.»
The command of the Syrian army warned that in case of violation of ceasefire will be taken response.
Monday, July 3, the Israeli defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman visited the Golan heights and listened to the report of the military about the current situation. He, among other things, demonstrated the place of the fall of the Syrian artillery shell. Speaking about the situation on the Northern border, Avigdor Lieberman said that Israel would not become a party of military confrontation in Syria, but the Jewish state will not tolerate violations of its sovereignty and endangering its inhabitants.
On 29 June, the UN security Council adopted a resolution condemning the military actions conducted in the zone of separation between Syria and Israel, urging Syrian government forces and rebel groups to leave the area patrolled by UN peacekeepers.
This resolution confirmed the fears of the UN Secretary General, antónio Guterres that the ongoing military action in the zone of separation can lead to the escalation of conflict and to jeopardize the cease-fire between Israel and Syria and jeopardizes the civilian population and UN personnel.
Over the last week on Israeli territory in the Golan heights exploded about 20 shells fired from Syria.
To discuss visit NEWSru.co.il in Facebook