About 30% of Israeli tourists going abroad, rent a car. Lately, cases, when the tourists on arrival in the country face a problem when you receive the booked car.
Editorial NEWSru.co.il prepared for readers information that should be taken note of in order to deal with the problem of receiving the ordered car.
The main reason for refusal to issue the reserved car – the lack of an international driver’s license. Israeli driver’s license recognized (for a period of 3 to 12 months) in 23 countries: Australia, Belgium, great Britain, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Cyprus, Costa Rica, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Salvador, Singapore, the USA, Turkey, Finland, France, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Sweden.
In Hungary, France, Switzerland and Turkey they are only recognized in persons over the age of 18 (in Israel driver’s license can be obtained from 16 years and 9 months).
However, it is necessary to emphasize that the agreements between Israel and these countries say about compulsory admission of a driver’s license and official structures. Private entities may require tourists to present international law.
Experience shows that the probability to encounter such a situation above, if the vehicle is booked in a large international company such as Budget, Europcar, Avis, Hertz, etc., and a small brick and mortar companies, especially in countries such as Greece, Italy or Eastern European countries.
Management of vehicle registration («Misrad a-Risui») at the end of June this year issued a communiqué according to which persons residing abroad can obtain confirmation of their driver’s license by contacting the Department of consular services of the Ministry of foreign Affairs. In personal reference, signed by the petitioner, you must specify the ID number, name and driver license number.
In order to avoid unpleasant situations, the hassle and the disruption of plans, it is recommended booking a car to check, be satisfied if a firm Israeli driver’s license, or 16 shekels to issue a temporary international driver’s license in one of the offices MEMSI or «Teldor».
International law, valid for a year, recognized by 175 countries that have signed the Geneva Convention of 1949 or the Vienna Convention of 1968. Tourists traveling to Japan, you should at the order of international rights to be a document proving the entry to Japan (flights/visa temporary resident, etc.) and a passport photograph.
Useful tips when renting a car
– Advance booking reduces the cost of the lease.
– When you rent a car in a large network it is worth checking the activities of credit card companies often offer a discount in exchange for stars/points.
– Rent a car in small firms is often substantially cheaper, but be aware that you will likely not get a brand new car, and the car aged 3 to 10 years with significant travel.
– If you have to drive not only on motorways but also through the narrow streets/country roads, or if you are forgetfulness/carelessness, which is to attend to extended insurance covering such damage, as the damage windshields, mirrors, wrong fuel, loss of keys, damage to the roof or the bottom (all of this is not covered by the basic insurance). Advanced insurance you can inquire the firm, which booked the car, or to arrange one of the online companies offering such services (for example: icarhireinsurance).
– When receiving a car carefully check it and note any scratches/damage/stains before you signed the receipt.
The material was prepared by Mikhail Shafranov